QPR boss Mark Warburton has admitted the club made a mistake in allowing Eberechi Eze to attend their FA Cup tie against Fulham on Saturday.

Crystal Palace winger Eze was allowed to sit in the directors’ box at Loftus Road to watch his former club despite the current ban on fans and the national lockdown.

The Football Association is understood to be looking into the incident which seems to be the latest in a string of footballers breaching Covid-19 protocols.

“We know the situation that society is facing in this country, we are all very aware of it,” said Warburton at a pre-match press conference.

“QPR as a club have stringent protocols in place that we apply very strongly to every single player and staff member.

“On this occasion we should have declined the request. It’s as simple as that. We made the error.

“Eberechi is an outstanding character. I can’t speak highly enough of him. He made a request, we should have said no.

“On this rare occasion we have made a mistake, it’s as plain and simple as that. It will not happen again.”

Eze, who joined Palace from Rangers for around £20million in the summer, was pictured not wearing a mask as he sat in the stands.

Palace have so far declined to comment but Eagles boss Roy Hodgson said last week that no further breaches of Government guidelines by his players will be accepted after Luka Milivojevic broke the rules on New Year’s Eve.

Palace captain Milivojevic issued an apology after his household mixed with Fulham forward Aleksandar Mitrovic and his family.

There were further breaches of the regulations over the festive period involving Tottenham, West Ham and Manchester City players.

Related posts

Tottenham cruise past Crystal Palace with a 4-1 win audio
Tottenham have boosted their growing hopes of securing a Champions League spot as they powered to a 4-1 win over Crystal Palace.
Premier League Preview: Tottenham v Crystal Palace audio
Tottenham will be aiming to give their Champions League hopes a boost tomorrow night as they welcome Crystal Palace to North London.
Crystal Palace 0-0 Manchester United: Dour draw at foggy Selhurst as United draw another blank audio
Manchester United fired a third consecutive blank and had to settle for a point at Crystal Palace to all but see their Premier League title challenge end.
Premier League: Crystal Palace v Manchester United audio
Crystal Palace welcome Man United to Selhurst Park on Wednesday night, hoping to further dent their title hopes
Find your next favourite sport podcast
Athletics Basketball Cricket Fight Sports Football Golf Horse Racing Motor Racing Rugby Tennis
Sport Social: The home of sport